Sunday, April 26, 2009

Cause You Had a Bad Day


At first glance you might think this is a funny photo.  But actually, Michael had a temperature of 103 for most of this week, needing 3 bags of IV fluids and lots and lots of drugs.  He was confined to the couch with his mask (as to not get the rest of us sick) and that left me to play the role of Florence Nightingale.   Double the pleasure when Grayson showed up with a fever too.  I think his might have been more teething related and was not as serious.  Luckily both seem to be on the upswing today.


There is a blog about Okinawa that I like to read.  It has good tips on what to do on the island, and of particular interest to me was a post about all the advice you get throughout your life.  The advice people give you about when to get married, how to live your marriage, how to raise your kids, how to do your job, etc.  The woman writing the post said that the best advice she ever got was, "don't save the good soap."  Strange, but makes sense.  How often to we get nice things and not use them because we want to save them for a special occasion.... a special soap, the good dishes, a new outfit.  Well life's too short for that.  Enjoy the good stuff today because you might not be able to tomorrow.  With that in mind, I stenciled the above quote on our hallway this week to remind us to make everyday special.


We didn't get out much this week.  No real Tuesday to talk about, no exciting adventure out in town.  So our random picture of the week is this scorecard from a recent golf game that Michael and his command had.  If you can see, he shot a 72 on the first 9 holes.  If you aren't a golfer, that isn't so good.  In fact he decided not to continue on the last 9 after that.  Actually, it was raining.  

Now, Okinawa is known for it's golf courses.  For an island that is only 65 miles long and 2 to 17 miles wide, it has over 60 courses.  With that said, Michael is going to strive to improve his game while we are here and I'll keep you updated on his scores.  Look out Grandpa Winters,  it's going to be a whole new game when we get back.


Not the best picture of my toe, but I wanted to show all the ladies the amazing things the Japanese can do in the spas here.   After your pedicure, an artist actually will hand paint you a design.  I decided to stay true to my plain Jane self.  But the girl I went with got dragonflies on all of her toe nails, and another girl got flowers where you could even see the veins of the blossoms.  All this while drinking the most refreshing lemon tea.  I'm going to have to make this a regular thing!


                                             

Grayson is growing leaps and bounds.  It seems like he just finishes  mastering a new skill and then he's off learning another one.  His latest feat was learning to climb on the couch.  Check the gymnast out.



Now, I said Grayson is growing leaps and bounds and to prove it,  take a look at  his foot.  I'm making a frame for his room.  One side is a picture from his birthday and on the other side I'm going to put this mold I took of his foot.  4.75 inches from the top of his big toe to his heel.  What a sturdy foundation.

 
                                              

Sharing.... a very important lesson all children need to learn.  Here's Grayson practicing on Bailey.  Too bad Bailey wasn't in the mood.


You might have noticed that being confined indoors with two sick people gives you a lot of time to look at the internet and take silly films and pictures, but I also made some progress on the house.  Grayson's bathroom is done.


Here's a close up of the theme.....


Complete with hanging dragonflies.


                                             

Hope everyone else is staying healthy.  See you next week.  Zoom Zoom.

2 comments:

Megs said...

Seeing Mike in a mask is probably one of the saddest pictures I have seen in awhile. At least he had his comfy Redskins blanket and wonderful wife by his side:)
I hope he is feeling better- and I love Grayson's bathroom:)

Tiffany said...

Mike I am glad you are feeling better and I love the video of Grayson getting on the couch. I knew he could do it. Sorry we didnt get to talk this weekend. Love you all SO much.