Sunday, July 12, 2009

In Other News



So what else have we been up to beside bumming around with family..... going to Okinawa World for starters.


We toured some underground caves and saw all kinds of rock formations and tide pools.  


 Although, it was a little unnerving to walk underground for miles in a place that in known for having random earthquakes.


Grayson enjoyed posing for pictures for all the Japanese women which seems to be a trend wherever we go.


We stopped to see the Fish Doctor, but weren't brave enough to give it a try.  You can pay to soak your feet in a warm pool with lots of little fishies that will nibble off all your dead skin and leave you silky smooth.  Seemed like a good way to get an infection to me.


The Eisa dancers put on a fun show with their drums.  Apparently, Eisa dancing is a required course for all Japanese students as a way to experience their history.  


A boat made entirely of bamboo leading the way to the turtle exhibit.  Isn't she so adorable?


  We also got to watch a snake charmer, but couldn't take any pictures of him.  However, here is a picture of the brewery that uses snakes in their production.


In other news, you might have noticed from our pictures with Al, that I cut my hair.  I've been threatening too for long enough and the humidity here sent me over the edge.


I've been asked if you celebrate the 4th of July in Japan.  The answer is yes!  The Okinawans even help celebrate with what is known as AMERICAFEST  held annually on Kadena Air Base.  The military sets up static displays of some of their planes.  There are carnival games, carnival food, live music, a kiddie play park with rides, and a firework show to finish it all off.


The new Raptor.  I think it is anyway, and Michael isn't here to fact check me.  You should have seen the Japanese with mega cameras taking pictures of this thing.  


A Japanese jet.  Not quite as impressive.


Daddy trying to give Grayson a taste for flying.


A train ride too.


We had to get some lemonade and a funnel cake.


Any American Idol fans?  I don't watch, but I thought I should take a picture of Melinda Doolittle anyway.  That night, LT Dan from Forrest Gump was going to play in his LT Dan Band.  We didn't get a chance to see him though because we had a command picnic to go to.  I was a little bummed about that.


Can you believe they let me play with this HUGE gun?  The guys working the tent told me to put on my war face, but that just made me laugh.


Keeping with tradition, Michael played and won a carni game.  It's a strange skill, but he rocks with carni games.


The family shot including our new addition, the alien.


We spent a Tuesday at the Tee House next to the golf course on base.  It has a wonderful view of the course, base, and beyond.


Grayson with his head in the clouds.


See Megs, I really love my new shirt!


That's all for now.  Lots of love to everyone.

1 comment:

Megs said...

Yeah!! So glad you liked it- it was really easy to shop for you- I had several things in my hands, and had to decide....
I love the polka dot skirt by the way- really cute!
You all continue to amaze with your adventurous spirit! Hope this time with Mike away passes quickly!