Every year for our anniversary, Michael comes up with some creative gift in the spirit of the traditional anniversary present list.
For our 5th anniversary, the wood present anniversary, Michael got me a flight lesson where I actually got to fly the plane and practice going straight, going up and down, and turns.
How is this wood you might wonder? Well, apparently some of the interior parts of the plane are wood.
When my flight instructor first started up the plane, I must admit I was a little nervous. It sounded just like my dad's lawn mower.
And as soon as I was calming down, a F-15 screamed in front of us and I was told we'd have to wait a minute before we could take off as to not go through his jet wash. Now, I've seen Top Gun many, many times, and I know jet wash is bad.
But once we got in the air, it was really fun. I got to see some things I hadn't seen before on island like this limestone mine. The island of Okinawa is the top of an underwater limestone mountain.
We got to see how pretty the reefs are.
I was surprised to see much of this tiny island was farmland full of farm grown sea weed, sweet potatoes and sugar cane.
I also got to see some of the local hotels and resorts.
Whenever I hit turbulence, I just looked at the sticker that said, "relax" on my instrument panel.
I flew for about 1.3 hours total.
President Clinton stayed in the hotel below for some conference. The cheapest room is a couple grand a night. Pretty expensive for Oki if you ask me.



3 comments:
you are braver than me! ben has always wanted to take me up flying, but i am too scared the plane will crash, and then leave our kids parentless.
pretty silly i know.
you flying may have convinced me that we could do it.
ben will be very excited:)
i think you guys have the cutest idea with your anniversary gifts- way to go michael!
Happy Anniversary to two of my favorite people! I cannot believe it's been 5 years already. Looks like we'll have two pilots in the family eh? Here's to many more beautiful years for the Winters:-)
Love you guys,
Byron
LOVE IT!! Way to go Jess I am really proud of you! Keep up the creativity Michael. Love you both SOOO much! Here is to many many more happy and wonderful years (hopefully most of them in the US haha).
Post a Comment