Monday, June 15, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!


First on our agenda of weekly events was Grayson's first ever visit to the dentist!  Michael and I were also due for a check-up so we made an appointment for 3.


I wasn't sure how we were going to get Grayson to show his teeth.  It looks like he has 5 more teeth all coming in at once, and he was having a serious case of paci-necessity.


Michael came through with a round of biting the belly to make him smile so the Doc could take a quick look.  I'm happy to report we all have a clean bill of health!

The rest of our week was very quiet.  Michael was busy at work planning another mission in Guam, and the continual heavy rains from typhoon season kept Grayson and I from venturing out too much until my birthday on Friday!


Michael has a reputation for going above and beyond for special occasions.  This year was no exception.  What better way to celebrate and avoid the weather than go to an underwater restaurant?


We had a lovely table with a window view and a table-top grill.  Very serene and romantic.


Dining under the sea called for a seafood spread.  Shrimp, lobster, and some shellfish that we aren't sure what it was.    The food was most definately one of the most memorable things about this year's birthday.  You will notice that you do NOT see the shrimp in the picture above.  Funny story.....  

Michael, Grayson, and I are chatting away and enjoying our evening.  It's a conversation with no particular purpose other than to be pleasant.  I take a sip of my wine, and gaze at some of the brilliantly colored fish gliding by.  The grill is heating up.  It adds a nice warmth to the room, like a fireplace might add to the ambience.   I casually look down at my plate.  A large shell with scallions and ginger to decorate it.  A lobster sliced in half with a side of lemon.  And... two shrimp.... unpeeled with skewers right through their bellies.  I look closer at all the legs, at the tales.  And then... THEY START TO FLOP ALL OVER THE PLATE.  THEY ARE STILL ALIVE!!!!  I jump 6 inches off my chair and grab my chest so I don't shriek in this elegant restaurant.  Michael comes to my rescue and grabs the shrimp with the grill tongs and throws them into the flames to perish.  Next time, I would like slightly less fresh shrimp.



Just when things start to settle back down,  we grill the lobster which I was sure was most definately not going to try to jump off the table since it was cut in half.  Until, we put it on the grill and it started MOVING!  Heat pockets, but still creepy.  


By the time dinner was done it looked like a monsoon outside.  The wait staff was generous enough to give us two umbrellas and a towel.  So we huddled close together, held hands, and made our way back to dry land.  A very picturesque moment.


And I started the last year of my twenties blowing out my candle with my Mr. Man and opening all the wonderful gifts mailed from our family.  Thanks everyone for remembering me!


I'll close up this week with Grayson Cole folding his hands to say a prayer before dinner.  We have the dinner prayers down, but are still working on getting him to keep his hands folded for bedtime prayers.


Love and prayers for all our friends and family.

3 comments:

Megs said...

What a wonderful birthday!
You look great Jess!
Hope the monsoon season isn't getting to you, and Mike's trip to Guam is a quick trip:)

Tiffany said...

Happy Belated Birthday. I am glad Michael saved you from the scary shrimp! haha. That place looks wonderful. Lets plan to talk soon! Love you all!

Anonymous said...

Jess you have more courage then i do loved the shrimp exercise.
Got my fathers card cute. Enjoy your time with your brother . hope we can chat soom

Love pop-pop